Louie Watterson (née Carter) is a recurring character in The Amazing World of Gumball. He is the stepfather of Richard, the paternal stepgrandfather of Gumball, Darwin, and Anais, stepfather-in-law to Nicole, and is the boyfriend and later husband of Richard's mother, Joanna. He made his first appearance in "The Debt" at the Elmore senior talent show. From "The Man" up until "The Signature," Granny Jojo is his girlfriend. As of "The Signature," Granny Jojo and he are husband and wife. He is a former member of the senior citizens.
Louie is a black mouse with white paws, large round ears, and a big, dark gray nose. He has several wrinkles around his eyes, indicating his old age. In "The Man," his nose becomes black, he becomes bigger, his mouth disappears, his outlines and limbs become thinner, his head is attached to his body, he loses the white marks on his ears, his wrinkles become more rounded, and his feet are more straight.
Louie seems to be patient and very calm, as shown in "The Man," where he endures Richard shouting at him, and even preventing him from seeing Granny Jojo. Later on, he even tries to settle an argument with Richard "by sitting down, and having a calm, reasonable conversation." He displays extreme self-control despite Richard's provocation. He has a very kind demeanor with his new grandkids and he hopes to be a welcome member of the Watterson family.
In "The Signature" and "The Catfish," it is shown that Louie does have his limits, deciding to beat Richard at his own game when he tries to stop him from marrying Jojo and reprimanding Gumball and Darwin when their trickery caused a fight between him and Jojo. Louie can be very talkative—he chats for hours over the phone with "Muriel" about his life-story—and he is shown to be a romantic, waxing flowery terms about his relationship with Jojo. He has also developed a fear of Granny Jojo after becoming aware of how violent and controlling she can be, preventing him from looking at other women and cutting him off from all his old friends.
- "The Debt": He dances in an act with the other senior citizens.
- "The End": He appears in line at Elmore Shopping in multiple places.
- "The Laziest": He appears with Marvin, Betty, and Donald.
- "The Kiss": He is part of Darwin's happy place.
- "The Colossus": He cannot hear Hector shouting, and is later knocked over by him.
- "The Knights": He is walking the cyclops dog.
- "The Job": He watches Marvin floating.
- "The Watch": He is with the senior citizens.
- "The Castle": He is at the Wattersons' house.
- "The Plan": He is at the park walking the cyclops dog again.
- "The Kids": He insults Gumball's weird clothes during "Make the Most of It."
- "The Extras": His first major role. He sings "Just Notice Us," and later dances with the senior citizens.
- "The Man": His second major role. He is revealed to be Granny Jojo's boyfriend, which causes Richard to hate him.
- "The Oracle": He wants to be the millionth customer at the mall.
- "The Spoiler": He watches The Screamening.
- "The Countdown": He is on the bus.
- "The Crew" (mentioned)
- "The Signature": His third major role. Richard tries to adopt him to prevent him from marrying Granny Jojo.
- "The Check": He gives Gumball, Darwin, and Anais a check that appears to say $5000.
- "The Parking": He is at the cinema.
- "The Wicked": He appears outside of the hospital at the beginning. He runs from Mrs. Robinson.
- "The Traitor": He is at the cinema, and sees Gumball hurt Billy.
- "The Compilation": He sings part of "Weird Like You And Me" with Granny Jojo.
- "The Outside" (photo)
- "The Vase" (mentioned)
- "The Catfish": His fourth major role. Gumball and Darwin create an account on Elmore Plus to give him a friend.
- "The Petals"(mentioned)
- "The Line": He is running to see Stellar Odyssey.
Click here to view the gallery.
- Louie resembles the Disney character Mickey Mouse and the Rat from the newspaper comic Pearls Before Swine.