This is a Featured Article. This page was selected as Featured Article on the main page. A new article will be elected soon.
Thank you for supporting the Gumball Wiki.
| Character Information
Hector is an enormous, gorilla-like giant with bluish-purple skin covered in shaggy, orange and pink fur, with only his hands, feet, and buttocks being bare. His face, when shown, is often covered by his hair, but his face is finally revealed in "The Butterfly," and resembles an ape's.
Hector's size is often inconsistent from episode to episode, or even scene-to-scene. Most scenes that include Hector show no more than his feet and legs reaching up offscreen, and on rare occasions when his entire body is on camera, he can range from fifty feet to nearly a thousand feet tall, towering over the entire city of Elmore. Because of this, he does not walk to school, rather his mom, Mrs. Jötunheim, rides her broom to his school, and then teleports him there, as shown in "The Singing."
In the Early Reel, Hector's legs were more multicolored.
Hector may seem menacing due to his immense size, but he is actually a very gentle giant. He would never purposely hurt anyone, but he has on occasion been known to unintentionally step on people.
It is explained later in the second season that the kids feel Hector is boring. Hector is deeply offended by this, and attempts to silence those rumors by showing them all the exciting things he does. Unfortunately, all those "exciting" things turn out to be lame - reading actionless comics, taking naps in the middle of the day, and playing with his unknowingly dead hamster. The reason he never does anything exciting is because he is forbidden (by his mother) to express any extreme emotion, mainly because she knows that when you excite a giant, destruction ensues. Gumball, unaware of this fact, encourages Hector to go against his mother's ideals. As expected, Hector goes on a rampage through town, screaming and demanding that he is fun and exciting, and not boring.
As shown in "The Potion", despite having some issues as a giant, he tries to not go against his mother's wish to never become shrunk down, so that he could learn to grow up as who he should be. However, he becomes enticed to drink the shrinking potion made from Gumball and Darwin, and at first, he shows excitement about being small sized. However, he faces various inconveniences and problems as a result, and he becomes depressed. He is shown to be insulting as a result of the problems he faces as a small being, calling the others "cockroaches" and shows impatience to Gumball and Darwin when Gumball asks him to say please, and Gumball mentioning to him that he shouted "NOW" over a hundred times.
Hector's way of living revolves around the influence of his own mother, especially in the field of expressing emotions. The giant felt that his mother was doing this for his own sake, and that it was best for him to have such a way of life.
Gumball was disappointed at how Hector rejected his friend request on Elmore Plus in "The Colossus," and felt that it was his business to butt in the giant's life. Gumball was the first to tell Hector to stand up to his own mother, which resulted into the giant going in a destructive state. Gumball later fixed the problem he caused, and the relationship between the two drastically improved by then. By the end of the episode, it was later revealed that Hector wanted to add Gumball as a friend. The fact that Hector wanted to be friends with Gumball, probably with the approval of his mother, really proved how much the friendship between the two really grew even though he rejected it.
Hector may have feelings for Tina, as shown in "The Party," where he asks her for a dance. Tina quickly accepts, blushing, hinting that she returns his feelings.
It is definite that Hector has feelings for Sarah, as seen in "The Night," where he sits next to her and kisses her cheek in his dream as he destroys Elmore in his sleep.
- "The Third": Hector appears very briefly in the background for a split-second.
- "The Quest": Hector accidentally sits on Anais' Daisy doll. After Darwin tells him, he flicks it over to Tina.
- "The Mystery": He is in a yearbook photo.
- "The Gi": He is outside on the schoolyard.
- "The Kiss": Hector was one of the challenges in Darwin's plan to make Gumball forget about the traumatic kiss he received from Granny Jojo.
- "The Party": Hector accompanies Penny to the party. Later, he dumps her, and instead spends the rest of the party with Tina.
- "The Club": He appears in the football club with Banana Joe, Gumball, and Tobias, and whips them using a giant towel.
- "The Curse": He squishes Gumball several times as part of Gumball's "curse."
- "The Fight": He appears in the schoolyard once again.
- "The Colossus": His first major role. He is made fun of by Gumball and Darwin because of his boring personality.
- "Christmas": He is seen spraying fake snow in the air from a roof.
- "The Bumpkin": He launches Gumball in the air by stomping on the seesaw.
- "The Hero": He talks about his father in the school playground.
- "The Dream": He is seen walking in the school hall in Gumball's dream. He appears to be much smaller.
- "The Sidekick": His photo is in the school yearbook.
- "The Tag": He steps on the garbage bin on the road after it has been run over several times.
- "The Storm": He is seen with the group of other kids in the school playground.
- "The Voice": He is on Elmore Plus.
- "The Tape": He appears in one of Gumball's videotapes.
- "The Finale": He gets upset over Nicole's "your mom" jokes and attacks her, and soon gets into a fight with a gigantic Kenneth.
- "The Joy": He can be briefly seen on a photo on Miss Simian's desk.
- "The Name": He appears fighting Kenneth in Gumball's subconscious.
- "The Void": He briefly appears in the school yearbook.
- "The Butterfly": He is seen at the football stadium, and later falls on Sussie's dad. His face is also revealed.
- "The Others": He briefly appears during Clare's happy ending.
- "The Uploads": He gets hit by an airplane.
- "The Night": He dreams that he is small and can do all kinds of things that his size typically prevents, and unknowingly wrecks Elmore while celebrating in his sleep.
- "The Slap": He gives Tobias a high-five. He later slaps Gumball on the back at the cafeteria.
- "The Compilation": He is seen with a whole group of people singing "Weird Like You And Me."
- "The Guy": He plays dead when Anais tries to be his friend.
- "The Boredom": An airplane knocks him over.
- "The Vision": He slips on Banana Joe.
- "The Console": He is one of the people Gumball summons to defeat the Gamechild.
- "The Cycle": He appears on a flyer in Elmore Junior High.
- "The Sorcerer": He is seen talking to his mother after school.
- "The Singing": He sings a verse for "I'm Singing."
- "The Best": Darwin prevents him from watching a video by slapping him and making him drop his phone.
- "The Line": He is tripped by Masami.
- "The Shippening": Sarah ships him with Masami, who he accidentally chokes on.
- "The Potion": His second major role. He is encouraged by Gumball and Darwin to drink a shrinking potion to "be like everyone else." However, he ends up becoming depressed, and wants to become giant again.
Click here to view the gallery.
- Hector is the tallest student of Elmore Junior High.
- His character is most likely based off of King Kong, who is a giant gorilla.
- Despite his size, Hector somehow manages to fit in the school corridors, as seen in the episode "The Curse."
- Hector's last name refers to the land of Jötunheimr, a mythical land in Norse mythology where the Jötnar, mythical giants, resides.
- He might like Tina, since he asked to dance with her in "The Party."
- Hector pretends that he is not naked, according to his dream in "The Night."
- Hector may like Sarah due to the kiss he gave her in his dream in "The Night."
- Although he is in Miss Simian's class, he is never actually seen inside the classroom because of his size.
- He had no speaking roles in Season 3.
- Hector's buttocks are bare because he has to use a volcano as a toilet, as revealed in "The Potion."
- The suspension card Principal Brown issues Gumball in "The Apology" for 'forging Richard's signature' lists 'Property desturction / upsetting hector' as an infraction.