This is a Featured Article. This page was selected as Featured Article on the main page. A new article will be elected soon.
Thank you for supporting the Gumball Wiki.
|"Well, you know I could help you with that."
This article is about the character. You may be looking for the Darwin's Yearbook episode.
|Joseph A. Banana|
| Character Information
Joseph "Banana Joe" A. Banana is a supporting character in The Amazing World of Gumball. He is the class clown of Miss Simian's class at Elmore Junior High. When he cracks his jokes, he thinks people are laughing with him, when they are really laughing at him, or not at all.
Banana Joe is an anthropomorphic yellow banana, with googly eyes, and has a mouth made of clay, similar to Clayton's. He wears and treats his "peel" like a shirt - he can remove it at will, and has several extras messily stuffed into his clothing drawer. The bottom end of his nude banana body is clefted to resemble a butt. He also lacks feet, which, as revealed in "The Promise," is due to frostbite.
From Season 2 onwards, Banana Joe gets a redesign. Much like many characters with their designs, he gains eyebrows, meaning that he no longer expresses emotion through his pupils changing shape, and he is much larger than he was previously. His eyes are now laid out in a horizontal line rather than a diagonal, and are of equal size. Furthermore, the inside of his mouth is a deeper red.
In "The Uploads," it is revealed that he can summon a second head at will.
Being the class clown, Banana Joe is always making jokes, or trying to be funny, though, his jokes can sometimes be hurtful, like how he teased Gumball to tears in "The Gi." His jokes can also be annoying or creepy, such as in "The Third." At first, Gumball and Darwin enjoyed his comedy act, but as he went on, he got creepier, causing them to leave him.
Banana Joe also seems to have a distaste for girls. This was prevalent in "The Pressure," where he established a pals before gals pact with the guys. He even resorted to chopping down the girls' clubhouse, all to prevent Darwin from kissing Masami. However, he may have gotten over this, since he did not complain in "The Party" when everyone had to get a date to attend. Furthermore, in "The End," he acts as the justice of the peace for Gumball's wedding.
He also appears to be messy. His room is in desperate need of cleaning - his peels are sticking out of his drawer, and there is junk scattered across the floor. Also, the stuff in his locker looks as though he just carelessly stuffed them in there.
Banana Joe can be a total jerk to everyone, including his own friends. He sometimes teams up with Tobias to do it, and most of the time, he does it to Gumball and Darwin. In the episode "The Pressure," he and Tobias forced Gumball and Darwin to start hating girls, and to not have any girlfriends, even though Gumball wanted to. In the episode "The Mystery," he was seen trying to get his own friend Gumball in trouble, and then trying to stop him when he ran away. In the episode "The Gi," he was seen bullying Gumball and Darwin in front of everyone at their school. He and Idaho insulted Gumball three times in "The Curse." However in season two, he seems to have become less of a jerk.
It is also shown that Joe can be angered easily. In "The Banana," Joe was furious when he found his pen chewed in his locker, and wanted to hurt Gumball and Darwin, but ended up hurting himself, and blacking out instead. When he woke up and was informed he had beaten them up, he seemed proud of it (although he quickly apologized).
- "Early reel" (debut): He is swinging, and Hector steps on him. Later, he lies damaged on the ground and laughs when Hector steps on Gumball and Darwin.
- "The Responsible" (indirectly mentioned)
- "The Third": He is a possible third best friend for Gumball and Darwin.
- "The End": He is at Gumball and Penny's "wedding."
- "The Dress": He is among the students believing Gumball to be a girl in the dress.
- "The Pressure": He has fun with Gumball, Darwin and Tobias, and later cuts down Molly's treehouse due to his distaste for girls.
- "The Ghost": He makes a cameo in the cafeteria.
- "The Mystery": He joins the students in trying to find out who harmed Principal Brown.
- "The Gi": He laughs at Gumball and Darwin.
- "The Kiss": He and Tobias perform "the sounds of suffering."
- "The Party": He attends the party.
- "The Robot": He breaks the fourth wall by talking to the audience, saying "I'm a banana."
- "The Picnic": He is at the field trip.
- "The Goons": He is a contestant of the "Dumb Race."
- "The Sock": He is in class.
- "The Genius" (cameo)
- "The Mustache": He is in gym class.
- "The Club": He and Tobias are part of the football club.
- "The Ape": He messes around in class.
- "The Curse" (cameo)
- "The Meddler": He, Anton, Tina, and Jamie make fun of Gumball for bringing his mother to school.
- "The Helmet": He is in the cafeteria, and thanks to Gumball, he accidentally pours the salt into William's eye.
- "The Fight": He cheers on Gumball and Tina's fight.
- "The Knights": He makes a brief cameo outside Elmore Junior High.
- "The Fridge": He is in the marching band in Gumball's flashback.
- "The Banana": His first major role. Gumball accuses him of chewing Darwin's pen.
- "The Job": His family gets excited over pizza and sing a song about it.
- "Halloween": He and Idaho go trick or treating.
- "The Apology": He throws his eyes so as to not see Miss Simian's butt.
- "The Words": He is insulted by Darwin. Later, he can be seen in class. Later still, he is seen "cheering" on Gumball and Darwin's fight.
- "The Skull": He cries when Gumball says Clayton morphing into him and imitating "I'm a banana milkshake!" is funnier than the real him saying this.
- "The Bet": He is in class.
- "Christmas": He walks on the street.
- "The Pony": He can be seen on a poster outside Ripley 2000.
- "The Hero": He is one of the students talking about their dad.
- "The Photo": He vows vengence on Gumball for ruining his school photo.
- "The Storm": He confronts Gumball after the latter kisses Carmen.
- "The Game": He is in class.
- "The Promise": His second major role. Darwin promises to hang out with him.
- "The Boombox": He appears on an Elmore Stream-It video.
- "The Coach": He and Sarah are eaten by Jamie.
- "The Joy": He is infected by the Joy virus.
- "The Recipe": He is seen in the cafeteria with Tobias and Bobert when Tobias eats Anton.
- "The Name": He is angry at Zach for taking a bite out of his cousin, Kayvon.
- "The Void": He is one of the students who does not remember Molly.
- "The Move": He sees a poster.
- "The Allergy": Darwin sneezes him into China.
- "The Mothers": His third major role. His, Tobias', and Gumball and Darwin's mothers are put to the test for the "Superest Mom."
- "The Shell": Gumball walks in his room.
- "The Bros": He and Tobias are on the bus watching Gumball and Darwin dance.
- "The Mirror": He whispers into Carmen's ear.
- "The Lie": He is one of the students talking about Sluzzle Tag.
- "The Butterfly": He is hanging out with Gumball and Darwin in class.
- "The Saint": He is among the students watching Alan give Tobias CPR.
- "The Oracle": He is seen at his family's yard sale.
- "The Safety": He briefly appears on one of the security cameras.
- "The Society": He is the leader of the fake school society.
- "The Spoiler": He is at lunch with Gumball, Darwin, Anton, Leslie, and Juke.
- "The Nobody": He walks by Gumball, Darwin, and Rob.
- "The Triangle": Gumball thinks he wants to sabotage Darwin's solo in the marching band.
- "The Return": He panics when he realizes he does not have shoes (or feet).
- "The Others": He wants to make Gumball and Darwin happy. Later, he can be seen at Clare's ceremony.
- "The Gift": He is one of the students attempting to get the Mic Graves for Masami.
- "The Upgrade": He is seen watching Bobert wed Leslie to Alan.
- "The Comic": He greets Gumball and tells LaserHeart puns.
- "The Uploads": He appears singing in a video.
- "The Hug": Darwin and Anais are invited to sleep at his house.
- "The Origins": He and his father are seen fishing.
- "The Girlfriend": Jamie eats his head.
- "The Advice": He is one of the students who gets hurt by the Abraham Lincoln Goat.
- "The Love": He sings "What is Love?".
- "The Points":
- "The Bus": He is one of the students on the hijacked bus.
- "The Night": He dreams about attacking a clone of himself, but in the reality, he eats himself.
- "The Misunderstandings": He is an "obstacle" for Gumball.
- "The Roots": He is hanging out with Darwin at the mall.
- "The Blame": He is with the other students singing "Books Are Violent."
- "The Compilation": He sings "Weird Like You And Me" along with several other Elmore residents.
- "The Scam": He is scared of Gargaroth like several others.
- "The Disaster": He can be seen at Laser Video.
- "The Rerun": Rob uses the Universal Remote and ejects him out of his skin.
- "The Stories": He is one of the students who hates Molly's stories.
- "The Guy": He runs from Anais.
- "The Boredom": He tests out a lightsaber.
- "The Vision": He runs for class president against Alan, getting smeared in the process.
- "The Test": He and Leslie say that Gumball became a better person.
- "The Potato": He briefly appears in the school cafeteria.
- "The Matchmaker":
- "The Console": He is summoned in the final battle against the Game Child.
- "The Catfish": He is modeling in art class.
- "The Grades": He is seen in Miss Simian's classroom.
- "The Ex": His fourth major role. Rob chooses him as his new nemesis.
- "The Sorcerer": He is seen presenting an art project to Mr. Small.
- "The Weirdo": He is one of the students who throws away Sussie's gifts.
- "The Singing": He sings "Banana Symphony."
- "The Best": He gets hit by one of Gumball's Justice Warrior waves and later has his phone set to airplane mode.
- "The Worst": He tries to greet Anais, but she walks over him. Later, he is seen in a flashback making fun of Gumball and Darwin in the showering stalls.
- "The Petals": He is seen watching Leslie is the hallway.
- "The Line" (mentioned)
- "The News": Mike asks him what his thoughts are on an unaddressed issue.
- "The Vegging": Gumball video calls him to watch his TV when the Wattersons' TV is destroyed by lightning.
- "The One": Tobias assassinates him by pulling him out of his skin to gain his powers. It is later implied he was not actually harmed, as none of the others Tobias thought he attacked were.
- "The Cringe": He makes the situation in the showers more awkward for Gumball and Hot Dog Guy by performing a "moon landing" with peaches.
- "The Neighbor": He is in class when Principal Brown introduces Gary.
- "The Candidate": He is part of the group of kids locked in school.
- "The Pact": He is on the bus and gets into an off-screen fight with Tobias and Ocho.
- "The Shippening": He is shipped with Penny by Sarah.
- "The Schooling": He is one of the customers during the Black Friday sale.
- "The Spinoffs": His younger self appears during Banana Joe's Afterschool Special.
- "The Transformation": He is on Elmore Plus.
- "The Ghouls": He goes trick or treating with Anton, Idaho, and Billy.
- "The Stink": He is in class when Principal Brown informs the students of Mr. Small's absence.
- "The Awareness": He gets paralyzed with horror after seeing Gumball rip out of his shriveled up body like a snake.
- "The Future": His fifth major role. He is looking for his mother with Gumball and Darwin.
- "The Web": He is on a website.
- "The Decisions": He slips over his peel and falls into the garbage can.
- "The Inquisition": He is turned into a human.
- Main article: Banana Joe/Relationships
- Mic Graves (US/UK/AUS/NZ/CAN)
- Hiroki Eto (Japan)
- Ævar Þór Benediktsson (Iceland)
- Alessandro Bevilacqua (France)
- Antti L. J. Pääkkönen (Finland)
- Michael Pan (Germany)
- Clécio Souto (Brazil)
- Mieczysław Morański (Poland)
- Zoltán Renácz (Hungary)
- Gökhan Akçakara (Turkey)
Click here to view the gallery.
- According to Mic Graves, Banana Joe's voice is a "lazy impression" of storyboarder Chuck Klein's New York accent. 
- Whenever Banana Joe does an exaggerated or a large motion, his googly pupils spin around inside his eyes.
- He has a Bananan the Barbarian poster in his room, a reference to Conan the Barbarian.
- His personality and appearance are based on the term "Top Banana."
- His name is similar to "Banana" Joseph Montione from the 1982 film, Banana Joe.
- Like many characters, in Season 1, he was an inconsistent character: his personality would change in almost every episode he was seen in.
- This trait went from an inconsistency to part of his character in Season 2 onwards, where he is shown to have violent mood swings, as he can quickly go from good-natured and happy-go-lucky to psychotic and temperamental.
- He hosted an April Fools' Day marathon in 2012.
- In "The Origins," it was shown that when he was younger, he was green, like an unripe banana.
- He is a very good whistler, as seen in the Season 2 episode, "The Banana."
- As seen in "The Banana," his eyes and mouth can be removed from his body, and then reattached.
- He also has a closet full of spares, according to the game Water Sons.
- Because of his town clown personality, Miss Simian tends to be annoyed pretty easily by him. For instance, in "The Joy" and "The Butterfly," she often enforced the dress code of bananas being required to wear their peels and sent him to the counselor’s office when he acted silly about the dress code in "The Butterfly."