Barbara "Banana Barbara" Banana is a recurring character in The Amazing World of Gumball. She is Banana Joe's mother, and the wife of Banana Bob. She and her husband first appeared in "The Responsible."
Banana Barbara is an anthropomorphic banana. She is nearly identical to the rest of her family, with the exception of a blue and white polka-dot bow (which she wears to keep her head from falling apart due to her burnout), lipstick, and eyelashes.
In season 2, she acquires eyebrows and a more lightly-colored peel.
As shown in "The Mothers," Banana Barbara does not seem to be very bright, and is rather oblivious to her surroundings. She has also been shown to have a very creepy demeanor. It is revealed in "The Future" that she used to be competent and smart, but after an internship at Chanax Inc., she got so stressed that she got a burnout and became the way she is now. At times, she is prone to taking words too literally.
- "The Job": She sings "Pizza Pizza Pizza" with Banana Bob and Banana Joe.
- "Christmas": She cheers with Banana Bob and Banana Joe after Santa takes off.
- "The Promise" (mentioned)
- "The Allergy": She is sneezed into China by Darwin.
- "The Mothers": Her first major role. She unknowingly competes with Nicole and Jackie.
- "The Shell": She paints the future and creeps Gumball out.
- "The Lie": She is seen waiting for Sluzzle Dude with Banana Bob and Banana Joe.
- "The Oracle": Her second major role. Her premonitory painting leads Gumball, Darwin, and Anais to try to prevent the events depicted in it.
- "The Spoiler": She is in the cinema.
- "The Stars": She yells at the soulless office worker.
- "The Ex": She tells Banana Joe to take out the trash. Only her voice is heard.
- "The Singing": She walks in on her son and makes him fly up into the fan.
- "The Line" (mentioned)
- "The Candidate": She attends the Children's Future Ball.
- "The Shippening": She can be seen with Mr. Robinson at the Tattoo Parlor.
- "The Spinoffs": She tells Banana Joe that she and Bob were splitting up.
- "The Awareness": She serves dinner to Banana Joe and asks if he had a nice day at school.
- "The Future": Her third major role. She gets kidnapped by Rob.
- "The Agent": She paints an eye on her husband where his mustache should be.
- "The Decisions": She flies into Coach Russo's mouth.
Barbara has the ability to make certain events occur through her painting. While "The Shell" and "The Oracle" suggested she had clairvoyance, "The Future" confirms that she can directly paint future events into occurring.
Click here to view the gallery.
- She and her husband debuted before Banana Joe did (unless one counts the early reel).
- Her name was revealed on James Lamont's Formspring.
- She has the ability to create the future through painting, as seen in "The Shell," "The Oracle," and "The Future."
- She is apparently accident-prone, getting frequently injured.
- Her ability to paint the future appears to be a reference to Isaac Mendez from Heroes, who also had the ability to predict the future through visual art.
- Her name may be a pun on Hanna-Barbera, an American animation studio that serves as a division of Warner Bros. Animation, though this has not been officially confirmed.
- Despite having a burn-out, in multiple episodes, Barbara is seen acting normally.